While the initial purchase of a home is a huge financial commitment, the financial burden doesn’t end there. As a homeowner, its up to you to fix anything that may be wrong with your home. Having a thorough home inspection done can prevent you from being caught off guard by maintenance issues that may pop up soon after buying your home. An experienced home inspector will be able to find many of these red flags.
1. Old heating and cooling systems. An old HVAC system can potentially be a huge problem for you. Heating and cooling systems aren’t designed to last forever, even if they have been properly maintained. It isn’t cheap to replace an entire HVAC system. Your home inspector will be able to let you know what kind of condition the HVAC system is in.
2. Environmental hazards. Environmental hazards can be an issue particularly in older homes. Things like lead based paint, high levels of carbon monoxide, radon, mold, or asbestos can all be hazards to your health. These things must be taken care of before you move into your new home.
3. Plumbing problems. Plumbing problems like old pipes, leaky pipes, or clogged pipes can cause catastrophic damage to your home that can be incredibly expensive to fix. Its important to check out all pipes that are visible, and to look outside and inside the home for any signs of leaks or water damage.
4. Electrical issues. Similar to plumbing issues, electrical issues can cause catastrophic damage to your home, including fires. Electrical issues to look out for during a home inspection include underground outlets, aluminum wiring, faulty wiring, or DIY electrical fixes.
5. Poorly maintained gutters and downspouts. Gutters and downspouts are often overlooked, but they serve an important purpose. If the gutters and downspouts are broken, damaged, or clogged, they may not be properly carrying water away from the home. If water is allowed to collect in the gutters it may be damaging your roof or leaking into your home.
For an experienced home inspector in Cherokee County, GA call Check Right Home Inspections at 770-490-8351